Hydraulic Analysis of Submerged Spillway Flows and Performance Evaluation of Chute Aerator Using CFD Modeling: A Case Study of Mangla Dam Spillway
대용량 배출구가 있는 수중 여수로는 일반적으로 홍수 처리 및 침전물 세척의 이중 기능을 수행하기 위해 댐 정상 아래에 제공됩니다. 이 방수로를 통과하는 홍수 물은 난류 거동을 나타냅니다.
게다가 이러한 난류의 수력학적 분석은 어려운 작업입니다.
따라서 본 연구는 파키스탄 Mangla Dam에 건설된 수중 여수로의 수리학적 거동을 수치해석을 통해 조사하는 것을 목적으로 한다. 또한 다양한 작동 조건에서 화기의 유압 성능을 평가했습니다.
Mangla Spillway의 흐름을 수치적으로 모델링하는 데 전산 유체 역학 코드 FLOW 3D가 사용되었습니다. 레이놀즈 평균 Navier-Stokes 방정식은 난류 흐름을 수치적으로 모델링하기 위해 FLOW 3D에서 사용됩니다.
연구 결과에 따르면 개발된 모델은 최대 6%의 허용 오차로 흐름 매개변수를 계산하므로 수중 여수로 흐름을 시뮬레이션할 수 있습니다.
또한, 여수로 슈트 베드 주변 모델에 의해 계산된 공기 농도는 폭기 장치에 램프를 설치한 후 6% 이상으로 상승한 3%로 개발된 모델도 침수형 폭기 장치의 성능을 평가할 수 있음을 보여주었습니다.
Submerged spillways with large capacity outlets are generally provided below the dam crest to perform the dual functions of flood disposal and sediment flushing. Flood water passing through these spillways exhibits turbulent behavior. Moreover; hydraulic analysis of such turbulent flows is a challenging task. Therefore, the present study aims to use numerical simulations to examine the hydraulic behavior of submerged spillways constructed at Mangla Dam, Pakistan. Besides, the hydraulic performance of aerator was also evaluated at different operating conditions. Computational fluid dynamics code FLOW 3D was used to numerically model the flows of Mangla Spillway. Reynolds-averaged Navier–Stokes equations are used in FLOW 3D to numerically model the turbulent flows. The study results indicated that the developed model can simulate the submerged spillway flows as it computed the flow parameters with an acceptable error of up to 6%. Moreover, air concentration computed by model near spillway chute bed was 3% which raised to more than 6% after the installation of ramp on aerator which showed that developed model is also capable of evaluating the performance of submerged spillway aerator.
- FLOW 3D
- Froude number
- Submerged spillway
- Fig. 1Fig. 2Fig. 3Fig. 4Fig. 5Fig. 6Fig. 7Fig. 8
- Aydin MC (2018) Aeration efficiency of bottom-inlet aerators for spillways. ISH J Hydraul Eng 24(3):330–336. https://doi.org/10.1080/09715010.2017.1381576Article Google Scholar
- Bennett P, Chesterton J, Neeve D, Ucuncu M, Wearing M, Jones SEL (2018) Use of CFD for modelling spillway performance. Dams Reserv 28(2):62–72. https://doi.org/10.1680/jdare.18.00001Article Google Scholar
- Bhosekar VV, Jothiprakash V, Deolalikar PB (2012) Orifice Spillway Aerator: Hydraulic Design. J Hydraul Eng 138(6):563–572. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000548Article Google Scholar
- Chanel PG, Doering JC (2008) Assessment of spillway modeling using computational fluid dynamics. Can J Civ Eng 35(12):1481–1485. https://doi.org/10.1139/L08-094Article Google Scholar
- Flow Sciences, Inc. (2013) FLOW 3D user manual version 10.1.
- Gadge PP, Jothiprakash V, Bhosekar VV (2018) Hydraulic investigation and design of roof profile of an orifice spillway using experimental and numerical models. J Appl Water Eng Res 6(2):85–94. https://doi.org/10.1080/23249676.2016.1214627Article Google Scholar
- Gadge PP, Jothiprakash V, Bhosekar VV (2019) Hydraulic design considerations for orifice spillways. ISH J Hydraul Eng 25(1):12–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/09715010.2018.1423579Article Google Scholar
- Gu S, Ren L, Wang X, Xie H, Huang Y, Wei J, Shao S (2017) SPHysics simulation of experimental spillway hydraulics. Water 9(12):973. https://doi.org/10.3390/w9120973Article Google Scholar
- Gurav NV (2015) Physical and Numerical Modeling of an Orifice Spillway. Int J Mech Prod Eng 3(10):71–75Google Scholar
- Hirt CW, Nichols BD (1981) Volume of fluid (VOF) method for the dynamics of free boundaries. J Comput Phys 39(1):201–225. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90145-5Article MATH Google Scholar
- Ho DKH, Riddette KM (2010) Application of computational fluid dynamics to evaluate hydraulic performance of spillways in Australia. Aust J Civ Eng 6(1):81–104. https://doi.org/10.1080/14488353.2010.11463946Article Google Scholar
- Jothiprakash V, Bhosekar VV, Deolalikar PB (2015) Flow characteristics of orifice spillway aerator: numerical model studies. ISH J Hydraul Eng 21(2):216–230. https://doi.org/10.1080/09715010.2015.1007093Article Google Scholar
- Kumcu SY (2017) Investigation of flow over spillway modeling and comparison between experimental data and CFD analysis. KSCE J Civ Eng 21(3):994–1003. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-016-1257-zArticle Google Scholar
- Lian J, Qi C, Liu F, Gou W, Pan S, Ouyang Q (2017) Air entrainment and air demand in the spillway tunnel at the Jinping-I Dam. Appl Sci 7(9):930. https://doi.org/10.3390/app7090930Article Google Scholar
- Luo M, Khayyer A, Lin P (2021) Particle methods in ocean and coastal engineering. Appl Ocean Res 114:102734Article Google Scholar
- Moreira A, Leroy A, Violeau D, Taveira-Pinto F (2019) Dam spillways and the SPH method: two case studies in Portugal. J Appl Water Eng Res 7(3):228–245. https://doi.org/10.1080/23249676.2019.1611496Article Google Scholar
- Moreira AB, Leroy A, Violeau D, Taveira-Pinto FA (2020) Overview of large-scale smoothed particle hydrodynamics modeling of dam hydraulics. J Hydraul Eng 146(2):03119001. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001658Article Google Scholar
- O’Connor J, Rogers BD (2021) A fluid–structure interaction model for free-surface flows and flexible structures using smoothed particle hydrodynamics on a GPU. J Fluids Struct. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2021.103312Article Google Scholar
- Sarwar MK, Bhatti MT, Khan NM (2016) Evaluation of air vents and ramp angles on the performance of orifice spillway aerators. J Eng Appl Sci 35(1):85–93Google Scholar
- Sarwar MK, Ahmad I, Chaudary ZA, Mughal H-U-R (2020) Experimental and numerical studies on orifice spillway aerator of Bunji Dam. J Chin Inst Eng 43(1):27–36. https://doi.org/10.1080/02533839.2019.1676652Article Google Scholar
- Saunders K, Prakash M, Cleary PW, Cordell M (2014) Application of smoothed particle hydrodynamics for modelling gated spillway flows. Appl Math Model 38(17–18):4308–4322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2014.05.008Article MATH Google Scholar
- Savage BM, Johnson MC (2001) Flow over ogee spillway: physical and numerical model case study. J Hydraul Eng 127(8):640–649. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2001)127:8(640)Article Google Scholar
- Shadloo MS, Oger G, le Touzé D (2016) Smoothed particle hydrodynamics method for fluid flows, towards industrial applications: Motivations, current state, and challenges. Comput Fluids. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2016.05.029MathSciNet Article MATH Google Scholar
- Shao Z, Jahangir Z, MuhammadYasir Q, Atta-ur-Rahman, Mahmood S (2020) Identification of potential sites for a multi-purpose dam using a dam suitability stream model. Water 12(11):3249. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12113249Article Google Scholar
- Shimizu Y, Khayyer A, Gotoh H, Nagashima K (2020) An enhanced multiphase ISPH-based method for accurate modeling of oil spill. Coast Eng J 62(4):625–646. https://doi.org/10.1080/21664250.2020.1815362Article Google Scholar
- Teng P, Yang J (2016) CFD modeling of two-phase flow of a spillway chute aerator of large width. J Appl Water Eng Res 4(2):163–177. https://doi.org/10.1080/23249676.2015.1124030Article Google Scholar
- Teng P, Yang J, Pfister M (2016) Studies of two-phase flow at a chute aerator with experiments and CFD modelling. Model Simul Eng 2016:1–11. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4729128Article Google Scholar
- Wapda (2004) Mangla dam raising project-sectional physical model study report of main spillway: Wapda model study cell, Gujrawala, Pakistan
- Yang J, Andreasson P, Teng P, Xie Q (2019) The past and present of discharge capacity modeling for spillways—a Swedish perspective. Fluids 4(1):10. https://doi.org/10.3390/fluids4010010Article Google Scholar
- Yang J, Teng P, Xie Q, Li S (2020) Understanding water flows and air venting features of spillway—a case study. Water 12(8):2106. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12082106Article Google Scholar
- Ye T, Pan D, Huang C, Liu M (2019) Smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) for complex fluid flows: recent developments in methodology and applications. Phys Fluids 31(1):011301Article Google Scholar
- Zhan X, Qin H, Liu Y, Yao L, Xie W, Liu G, Zhou J (2020) Variational Bayesian neural network for ensemble flood forecasting. Water 12(10):2740. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12102740Article Google Scholar